Your customers and your community are more and more committed to sustainable practices. They want to support businesses that share this commitment.
Is your business a part of the hospitality industry? Then you are eligible to become a CERTIFIED Virginia Green Travel partner!
Hotels, B&B’s, restaurants, conference centers, wineries, breweries, museums, sports & music venues, festivals and events, amusement parks, campgrounds, tour companies, spas, attractions of any kind, and even bus and shuttle services. Your business is can become certified in the Virginia Green Travel certification program. Since 2008, more than 1900 tourism businesses have been certified.
Two Levels of Participation
About Virginia Green Partner Certification
Over the past 10 years, 1800+ tourism businesses have voluntarily certified their environmental commitments and practices and been recognized as certified Virginia Green Partners. The program is administered by the non-profit Virginia Green Travel Alliance (VGTA) and works in partnership with the Virginia Tourism Corporation, the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality, and the Virginia Restaurant, Lodging & Travel Association.
Who is eligible?
Most tourism operating businesses are eligible for one of the two certifications above. This includes Hotels, B&B’s, restaurants, conference centers, wineries, breweries, museums, sports & music venues, amusement parks, campgrounds, tour companies, spas, attractions of any kind, and even bus and shuttle services, etc.
There is a separate application process for the following:
- Green festivals, events and meetings
- Green suppliers & vendors
- Supporting organizations and businesses that want to support the Virginia Green partners.
- Individuals that want to reduce their environmental footprint by pledging to be a Green Travel Champion
What do Certified Partners get?
- Listed as a Virginia Green Travel Partner on our website in the VA GREEN TRAVEL BUSINESS DIRECTORY
- Virginia is for Lovers / green vacations website. Your business will be marketed and searchable as a green facility.
- Certificate & signs! Will be mailed to you.
- Certification logos and graphics. For your website and marketing materials.
- Social media promotion when you join and whenever you have green content to share.
- ROI! from cost savings and customer appreciation and business
- Awards! Through our annual Virginia Green Travel Awards program.
- Staff Education!
- Technical resources & assistance! Provided in partnership with the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality
- Green Travel Leaderships Training Program – classes for Green Team Leader, Green Meeting Professional, and All Staff Green Certificate program.
- Virginia Green Travel Conference! 2 days of green tourism training opportunities.
What does Certification cost?
We do charge a small fee in order to support program administration, mailing and ongoing marketing efforts. When you apply, this fee will be accessed prior to approval.
Virginia Green Application Processing Fees
|Attraction Type||Commitment Level||Fully-Certified|
|Restaurants, B&Bs, Wineries, Breweries, & “Smaller” Attractions||$50||$75|
|Conferences, Festivals & Events||NA**||$75|
|Supporting Organizations, Visitor Centers, etc.||$50||$75|
|Suppliers of Green Products & Services||NA||$125|
**NA: there is no “commitment level” for Conference Center, Convention Centers or Festivals & Events.
Fees can be waived for events and other partners that sponsor a fundraising event benefiting the VGTA.
Supporting organizations & local-government facilities/events can be waived or addressed on a case-by-case basis.
Ownership groups and other organizations may be eligible for group rates.
Commitment Level partner are expected to transition to Fully-Certified after 1 2-year cycle at the lower level.
Re-certification is required every 2 years so that we are sure that program commitments are maintained and progress is being made.
Certification Process Step-By-Step
- Choose your Certification Level above and click on the appropriate link to either register online (Commitment Level) or download the Full Travel Certification form.
- Register your business with the Virginia Green Travel Business Directory and pay registration fee.
- Create a log-in and confirm the link in your email
- Add your Virginia Green Travel Business Profile listing
- Pay your registration processing fee and submit.
- The VGTA will review and/or approve your Virginia Green Travel Certification within 2-3 days.
If you just need to RE-CERTIFY, just fill out the corresponding RE-CERTICATION Form (listed below) and follow the “step-by-step” instructions provided. If you have any trouble re-certifying, please contact us at [email protected].
Application & Appendices